Tuesday, March 3, 2009

About Moir, More or Less




Hi Reader,

It's me, the post writer.

A question: Were you like me as a kid, alway cracking jokes, sometimes getting in trouble (driving some of the poor nuns in the Catholic schools nearly bonkers; once, while I was in the 4th grade the first time, Sister Hachet Look asked me if I could wait to do the "Bob Hope routine until I was old enough to handle it?); did you have the uncontrollable feeling that you were always fuuny, and furthermore, that it was your social and humanitarian responsibilty to share that HG (Humor Gift) 24/7 with ACPWY (Anyone Crossing Paths with You)?

By the 11th grade I was pretty sure that I could handle the Bob Hope routine, especially if I had a staff or writers like his. I even read his autobiography, Have Tux, Will Travel, but became somewhat discouraged because I didn't have a tux in high school. But I remained troubled by one fact: did Bob Hope and Bob Hoff, two people just two letters away from the same name, share an unrealized destiny?

Through college, through my career in the U.S. Federal government (in a job with opportunities for mini-standup routines, forays into humor style, content, and presentation that I could always take when my supervisors with a 0.00 sense of humor themselves and 100% Humor Appreciation Deprivation Sindrome weren't around, and into retirement, I have always dabbled in humor, in one way or another.

Not only do I like to read and study about it, I buy and collect books about it (not only books on humor as my WWOSDWAEA (Wonderful wife of several decades will attest even again), but many other subjects.

I love to share the humor of my sons, watch humor with them whenever we get the chance or get their recommendations, and of course, give them some of mine :=) (two sons are planning to go to a Jerry Seinfeld concert soon) and even watch it with my wife when I can ply her away from her favorites--Thriller/Mysteries.

I once said in a short and impromptu speech at a training course (representing the collaboration and findings of our group in a group exercise) that "humor is a social lubricant." Many in the audience who laughed vigorously seemed to be laughing at the word lubricant, missing what I thought was my excellent point completely. Can you imagine? My point was that humor may "oil the wheels" of meeting and getting to know a stranger in a social context.

It has occasionally welled up in my mind as to what word I could have substituted for, you know, the "l" word?



I want humor to assist my message in getting across, encourage the stimulation of thought in the recipient. Not of all events, to have my humor obscure those goals.


BTW, if the last sentence is a fragment, I meant to include it as a fragment. I read somewhere that sentence fragments are no longer verboten.


Bob



Tip: Chedk out Hulu.com for free comedy tv and movies on-line

No comments:

Post a Comment